The original St. Joseph High School was located at the corner of Tenth and Liberty streets. The new school on Mt. Ephraim Avenue at Dayton was dedicated in January, 1952, with the cafeteria, gym, and auditorium still under construction.
From July 1 to September 30, 1953, the St. Joseph's Holy Name Society conducted a Debt Reduction Drive. The souvenir program, dated October 17th, 1953, lists donors from $1 to $1000. On that date the committee presented Msgr. Strenski with a check for $37,071.20, with later gifts raising the total to $47,277.44. This reduced the parish's outstanding debt for the construction of St. Joe's to $103,500.
The former high school building at 1770 Mt. Ephraim Avenue is now Dayton Manor, a 256-bed private residential health care facility opened in 1986. According to the Inquirer, people are still necking in the dark corners.
Aerial photo from Globe Explorer by means of Mapquest:
Leonard Stevens, Class of '67, provides this update on the status of the original school building at 10th and Liberty: "The grammar school has been torn down along with the convent, providing a "safe" parking area. The original school building is still there and they are working on obtaining Historic status from the state. This would hopefully provide protection and funding for upkeep of the property. The church, old school and rectory are in relatively good shape."
Urgent - St. Joe's Church Appeal
St. Joe's alumnus Rev. Edward J. Lipinski is now the pastor of St. Joseph's Church, and is leading a fund-raising drive to repair and restore the church building at 10th and Liberty. The church has won designation as a state historic site, and a matching funds state grant from the New Jersey Preservation Trust. But the church must raise nearly half a million dollars for its share of the restoration cost. Please read Fr. Lipinski's appeal on the excellent St. Joseph's Polish Church history site, and help if you can.
Return to St. Joseph High School Free Range Salt Lick. Last Revised: 24 May 2009 03:32 PM